Hello friends, Currently the Era of Mobile Technology and Smartphone have brought up the abrupt revolution in the technological world. PhoneGap has contributed a lot in designing a diverse range of mobile apps for Smartphones. Mobile apps those are designed using phonegap can make your services more exceptional among others and you can provide better user interface facility to your consumers. Now, you must be wondering what actually PHONEGAP is? Let me explain you.
What is PhoneGap?
1) PhoneGap is an open source and so there are no run time or licensing cost.
2) Now the source code of PhoneGap is available and because of a plug‐in architecture is in place. So it is possible to extend a platform functionality with native code if required.
4) Another advantage of using PhoneGap is that it allows you to reuse your existing web development skills, so you have a shorter learning curve and faster development and for that you do not require to learn a new language or technology.
5) It provides access to key features of the Smartphone like GPS, accelerometer, camera, contacts, Compass, File, Notification, Storage, initiating calls or sending email or text etc.
6) PhoneGap apps have been downloaded over the 1 million times up till now and they are being used by more than 400,000 developers all over the world. 3000+ apps built daily using PhoneGap and most of the apps are available in different mobile app stores.
What PhoneGap is not?
1) PhoneGap doesn’t access any web server on your Smartphone, therefore you can’t just move your PHP/mySQL/Ruby/Rails/Perl/ASP/ASP.NET/JSP website other framework and have it run.
2) PhoneGap doesn’t provide a bypass to the app store approval requirements. Your app will be judged on the same criteria as native code apps.
3) PhoneGap isn’t suitable for graphic intense applications like action games.
How to Use PhoneGap in Android?
1) To use PhoneGap in android is pretty easy. First you have to download the PhoneGap from http://phonegap.com/download/
2) Extract zip and Put phonegap. jar (Cordova. jar) file into building path or into libs folder.
3) Now create new folder www into asset folder and put the phonegap. js file in the www folder.
4) Create an index.html file in /assets/www and write your code there.
5) Make a few adjustments to the project’s main Java file and Change the class’s extend from Activity to DroidGap.
6) Replace the setContentView() line with super.loadUrl(“file:///android_asset/www/index.html”)
7) Add import com.phonegap.*
8) Remove import android.app.Activity